Happy Thanksgiving From The Unlatched Suitcase!

Thursday, November 26, 2015


Happy Turkey Day, loves!

My second favorite holiday has finally rolled around! Bring on the turkey legs and endless plates of my grandma's homemade secret stuffing!

I just want to take a quick moment to say how thankful I am for you guys, this blog, and the endless opportunities I've had this year. Also pizza, because pizza is the best. It's important to say thanks every day, but on today of all days, I'm sending my love and gratitude to every corner of the earth.

It's safe to say that I've not had the easiest year, from moving back home to reaching a bit of a wall when it comes to job hunting. It's easy to dwell on the bad, put yourself down and feel awful about all the things not going right. But it's just as easy to remember all the great things that have happened, too!

This year I graduated college in the top 10% of my class, made one of the best friends I've ever had, escorted the boyfriend around the USA, and made a brief return to London. I may not have a salaried job or my own apartment, but I sure did have a lot of fun.

I'm thankful that my parents let me move back home, that my boss let me keep my part-time job, and for my best best friends who are always there, even when we're miles apart. I've been so blessed to have had amazing professors and a great education, and the opportunity to pack up my suitcase and travel the world. I'm lucky that I'm surrounded by wonderful people who, for some reason unknown to me, still continue to put up with my shit.

But above all else, I'm beyond thankful for my one and only George Harrison. He may be 3,000 miles away but he's my rock. Without him to talk and bitch to, this year would have been infinitely harder. He lets me be grumpy and cooks me food and understands that I sometimes I just want to sit by myself and watch Gilmore Girls on repeat. Every second of every day he's encouraging me to get off my butt and do something. He's kind of great.  I'm not one for public declarations of cuteness -- in fact I avoid it at all costs --  but he deserves it. I love you quite a lot, Harrison. I can't wait until we can throw lavish Friendsgiving parties and get drunk on Babycham and show everyone what an amazing team we are.

But that's in the future, and today is about being thankful in the present. I know that one day I'll be back celebrating my second favorite holiday in the UK, surrounded by my second family and playing Risk. Today is not that day, but I know it'll come again soon.

For now, let's just celebrate and be grateful for how lucky we are. Because even if it doesn't seem like it at this moment, we're all really really lucky.

I hope everyone has a lovely day today, whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not. May you be blessed with tasty food, wonderful company and -- most importantly -- an endless supply of wine!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Major thanks to the immensely talent Jill Levenhagen for her endless portfolio of beautiful -- and FREE -- photos! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Subscribe