A Cardiff Must Do: Bunkhouse

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

I absolutely adore Cardiff. For being the capital city of Wales, it sure is tiny, but that's what I love most about it. It just feels so accessible and personal. The city itself is stunning with all the fairy-lighted arcades and cobblestone streets, the people are ridiculously friendly, it's the land of welsh cakes (!!!) and there's little hidden treasures found around each and every corner.   



One of those hidden treasures is Bunkhouse, or as I call it, an absolute travel must-do. The funky decor will pull you in, but the welcoming staff and cozy atmosphere will have you pulling up a chair-- or a bed. Yes. A real bed. Not only will globetrotters love the cheap hostel prices, but travelers worldwide won't be able to resist leaving their mark on the walls, which boast handwritten messages from all those who have wandered in. Seriously guys. It's really cool.

Located only a short walk from the train station, Bunkhouse is quickly becoming a Cardiff staple. In fact, most don't even realize that the place is actually a hostel because the bar is more well-known. It couldn't be in a more perfect location, as it's right on the high street next to other pubs and shops, and minutes away from all the best touristy things Cardiff has to offer, such as The Doctor Who Experience and Cardiff Bay.

I mean look at it-- it's like a scene right out of a hipster fairytale. Alice in Wonderland meets vintage knick-knack shop. It's any travel bloggers Instagram-worthy dream. There are umbrellas on the ceiling. It's bright and colorful and quirky and it's fast becoming one of my favorite places to grab a drink, whether that be their famous hot chocolate or a nice pint of cider.

And of course, there's the writing on the wall. All you have to do is go up to the desk, ask for the pen, and you're free to graffiti away until your heart is content. This has to be my favorite part of the whole place. How many places you let you publicly deface their lobby? Probably not many. Leaving your own message is really personal and fun, but it's just as awesome to read what others have left behind. It's crazy to think of the people from all over the world who have walked through those doors, sat on those chairs, and had their own stories and experiences there.

Price wise, it's not necessarily the cheapest place to buy a pint (bottles of beer are around the £3.50 mark), but I'm fine with paying a couple extra pounds for experience. And I've yet to come across anywhere as unique and inviting as Bunkhouse. They say on their site that they want you to feel "warm and fuzzy" inside. Trust me-- the warm and fuzzies abound.

Sadly, I never stayed in the actual hostel. I've only roamed around the bar. But that doesn't mean I won't be back! The beer is good, the atmosphere is killer. The staff are super welcoming. It's a win-win. Bunkhouse is one of those places that you'll be telling your friends, family, and other travelers about. It's something really special to add to your travel scrapbook.



You can visit Bunkhouse at 94 St Mary Street, located across from Morgan Arcade. For more information, be sure to check out their lovely Instgram, stay up to date on all their events on their Facebook page, or book a room on their website. And make sure to leave a fun little message on the wall the next time you pop in for a drink. I dare you to find mine!

Stay tuned for more travel diaries because I'm just getting started! And like always, let me know where your favorite travel hidden gems are. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Subscribe