A Morning With Sylvia Plath: Exploring Primrose Hill
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's this: I am obsessed with Sylvia Plath. She's my favorite author, poet, and just overall feminist, and I've been wanting to track down her London home since the moment I opened The Bell Jar.
So, I decided to wake up the boyfriend early in the morning one day and set out to find Sylvia's little house and explore Primrose Hill.
Primrose Hill is a quaint and beautiful area of London that's filled with cute high streets, local boutiques, cafes, and tree-lined sidewalks. It's quiet, which makes it a great place to take a morning stroll, even if it was a little dreary.
Sylvia lived at 3 Chalcot Square, which is a tiny pink house in a beautiful section of the neighborhood. It's easy to spot- there's a blue plaque gracing the entry way. Each house on the street is a different color and there's a little park in the middle where I sat andcreeped on Sylvia's house enjoyed the rest of my latte that I grabbed along the way from Anthony's Delicatessen (which was awesome btw).
After creeping some more taking a few more pictures, we moved along to Sylvia's house 2.0. After breaking up with Ted Hughes, she moved back to Primrose Hill and moved into what used to be W.B. Yeats' house at 23 Fitzroy Road. It's literally a block away from her home at Chalcot Square. This is where she committed suicide, so it was kind of a huge moment to stand there and think of all that happened behind those doors.
After leaving Sylvia and my fangirl ways behind, we headed out in search of breakfast. Because duh- it's the most important meal of the day and usually we're never up early enough to enjoy it. We stumbled upon Cachao, which is a little cafe located on Regents Park Road. We wandered in, got seated right away, but it basically took us forever to order because the menu is massive. Pancakes, omelettes, salads, paninis...even pasta. How can you possibly choose?!
Eventually we did figure it out, and I decided on an omelette and a bagel and George got pancakes with ice cream and bananas. Throw a giant cappuccino into the mix to support my caffeine addiction and we were ready to dig in. And dig we did- it was SO GOOD. We licked our plates clean and made numerous promises to come back again. I'm going to start pulling the boyfriend out of bed earlier if it means I can eat a tasty breakfast every day.
Bellies full, we continued on adventuring, stopping briefly to browse at Primrose Hill Books. We then strolled through the park that the actual Primrose Hill is in before deciding to catch a movie at the Everyman Cinema in Maida Vale.
This is seriously one of the coolest movie theaters I've ever been to. One screen. Giant chairs. Wine and snacks delivered to your seat. Pretty sure we looked like dweebs the whole time because our mouths were wide open with awe the minute we walked through the door. I never want to go to a regular movie theater again. Ever.


Oh, and The Big Short was pretty good too.
We had a great morning exploring one of the best areas of London. It was awesome to get out of the flat, enjoy a lovely day, and find some new favorite places.
Twitter // Instagram // Bloglovin'
So, I decided to wake up the boyfriend early in the morning one day and set out to find Sylvia's little house and explore Primrose Hill.
When I came to my beloved Primrose Hill, with the golden leaves, I was full of such joy. - Sylvia Plath
Primrose Hill is a quaint and beautiful area of London that's filled with cute high streets, local boutiques, cafes, and tree-lined sidewalks. It's quiet, which makes it a great place to take a morning stroll, even if it was a little dreary.
Sylvia lived at 3 Chalcot Square, which is a tiny pink house in a beautiful section of the neighborhood. It's easy to spot- there's a blue plaque gracing the entry way. Each house on the street is a different color and there's a little park in the middle where I sat and
After After leaving Sylvia and my fangirl ways behind, we headed out in search of breakfast. Because duh- it's the most important meal of the day and usually we're never up early enough to enjoy it. We stumbled upon Cachao, which is a little cafe located on Regents Park Road. We wandered in, got seated right away, but it basically took us forever to order because the menu is massive. Pancakes, omelettes, salads, paninis...even pasta. How can you possibly choose?!
Eventually we did figure it out, and I decided on an omelette and a bagel and George got pancakes with ice cream and bananas. Throw a giant cappuccino into the mix to support my caffeine addiction and we were ready to dig in. And dig we did- it was SO GOOD. We licked our plates clean and made numerous promises to come back again. I'm going to start pulling the boyfriend out of bed earlier if it means I can eat a tasty breakfast every day.
Bellies full, we continued on adventuring, stopping briefly to browse at Primrose Hill Books. We then strolled through the park that the actual Primrose Hill is in before deciding to catch a movie at the Everyman Cinema in Maida Vale.
This is seriously one of the coolest movie theaters I've ever been to. One screen. Giant chairs. Wine and snacks delivered to your seat. Pretty sure we looked like dweebs the whole time because our mouths were wide open with awe the minute we walked through the door. I never want to go to a regular movie theater again. Ever.


Oh, and The Big Short was pretty good too.
We had a great morning exploring one of the best areas of London. It was awesome to get out of the flat, enjoy a lovely day, and find some new favorite places.
![]() |
| Me at Sylvia's house being a super fangirl |
This is an easy day trip to squeeze in on any trip to London, whether you're a huge Sylvia Plath fangirl like me or not. Primrose Hill is one of the best places to get a great view of the city skyline, and it's well worth the trip to Zone 2. Plus, there are Everyman Cinemas located all over London, so even if you can't make it out to Maida Vale, you can still catch a movie in the coolest cinema known to man.
Twitter // Instagram // Bloglovin'







0 comments