Why You Should Vacation In Bali

Tuesday, November 03, 2015



My trip to Bali was well over a year ago, but I still think about it every day. I never had the opportunity to write about it, so here I am, a little late to the party but at the party nonetheless.

A little background on why we picked it. I was in studying in Australia and we were looking for something to do on our "spring break" (really a fall break, but whatever). We really wanted to hit up New Zealand, but on our measly budgets that seemed out of the question, even with somewhere to stay for free. We threw around ideas for Thailand, but we quickly tossed that out the window with all the political conflict going on at the time. Tasmania? Nah. Camping in the outback? Do you know how many deadly animals and insects live out there? Count me out.

My friend had been to Bali before and highly recommended it to us. We basically decided to go there because it was super affordable. Maybe not the best way to decide where to vacation, but alas, we were sold by the promise of cheap markets and even cheaper food. We did some research, thought "sure why not" and next thing you know, I'm waking up from a nap and buying my plane tickets.

I never would have considered the possibility of actually visiting Bali if I hadn't been in Australia. The airfare from the US is kind of insane, but I managed to snag a flight out of Brisbane for $400. So obviously, that had an impact on our decision to vacay there. But now that I know just how amazing this little island is, I'd throw down money on airfare any day. And let me tell you, Bali is honestly one of the most amazing places I've ever been.

Why You Should Go

Besides the fact that it's known for it's picturesque beaches and relaxing meditation, it's a completely different culture than anything I'm used to. If you want to take a few steps out of your comfort zone, then this is the perfect place to do that. The people are beautiful and kind. The atmosphere is relaxing and playful. The food is mouthwateringly delicious. It's cheap. Honestly, it's such a hidden gem of a vacation destination. I'm shocked more people don't make the trek from the United States.

Staying in Ubud

If you're going to go anywhere in Bali, make sure to at least stop in Ubud. It's not located right on those picture-perfect beaches, but it's ridiculously amazing nonetheless.

Ubud is set back in the forest, about an hour away from the seaside. It's known as the arts and culture capital of the island, so the streets are packed with local boutiques and art galleries, music is always lofting out of restaurants and bars, and you can always find a cute café and local cooking and yoga classes to pass the time.

The best part about Ubud is it's location. It's super close to so many cool and awesome attractions, like temples and The Monkey Forest (literally a forest with monkeys that climb on you). The town is beautiful, filled with local eateries and cafes. There's backpackers mingling with the locals everywhere, and most have decided to spend more time in the little town then they intended. Each hostel feels like a mini-resort, tucked away in the trees. There's fire dances and spas right at your finger tips. The markets alone are massive. From sarongs to figurines, there's something for everyone. Honestly, it's such a  relaxing place to spend your time, without having to drop a few precious pennies on a resort. You can still have the vacation you deserve on a budget!

The Must Dos

While we did spend a lot of the time relaxing, we managed to have tourist filled days as well. Here's 3 things we did that I highly recommend! 


Blanco Renaissance Museum

If you fancy yourself an art person, then you'll love wandering through Don Antonio's studio-turned-museum. I was completely unfamiliar with Blanco's work before I stepped foot in the gallery, and it still blew me away. Not only are the walls decked out in his paintings, but he custom made the frames, too! He also wrote poems and did mixed media images, which are sometimes hilarious and sometimes heartbreaking. Getting to know the life and work of this eccentric artist was amazing, and it's the perfect way to spend the day for both art lovers and tourists alike.

Shh...it's a secret
You can actually stand on the roof of the studio, which is where the featured image was taken. Get on up there to see gorgeous Balinese figurines and stunning views of the grounds. 


Mt. Batur Sunrise Hike

I am not a hiker, but hiking up an active volcano was definitely one for the books. If you like adventure, then this is the thing for you. Starting at 3am, you begin ascending this giant mountain/volcano. It's a long hike, and it's hard work, but by the time you reach the top it's absolutely breathtaking. Honestly, I was near tears by the time we got there because I was tired and grumpy and in the back of the pack, but one look at the view and I was completely at ease. I've seen the sunrise before, but never like this. The fog lifted, the sun peeked out, and suddenly the whole world was bathed in light. For the pros out there, you can hike even higher to the actual summit if you want. Then, after watching the sunrise, you can explore the lava craters and see the volcanic steam, plus there's mountain monkeys! By the time you get down, you'll feel accomplished and be amazed at what you just did. Completely worth the 2am wake up and the sore muscles that followed me the rest of the week. 

Shh...it's a secret
The tour starts out at 3am, which means it's chilly and dark. Wear proper hiking shoes if you have them, and make sure to deck out in layers. The more you hike, the hotter it gets, and once you reach the top it's boiling. You can bring a bag with you too, so pack plenty of water and feel free to bring snacks because the food options are minimal and climbing volcanos really works up an appetite! 

Gunung Kawi 

We saw quite a few temples on our trip, but nothing left as much of an impression as Gunung Kawi. We all agree that our visit here was the one moment that we will never forget, and we still talk about how amazing this particular temple was. Upon entry, you have to wear a sarong (which isn't given to you) and you have to walk down tons of steps. But once you descend into this little village like temple, you'll instantly forget the modern world. It's set down in the valley between rice fields and mountains, and it's filled with breathtaking stonework, little bridges, streams and hideaways that are perfect for meditation and tranquility. As you walk, you can't help but feel a sense of ancient majesty in the air.

Shh...it's a secret 
If you like tourists and guides, then go for the earlier hours. But I highly recommend that you wait until the tourists have cleared. We went a little before sundown, about an hour before closing, and it was unreal. The guides were over, the demonstrations had been packed up and gone, so it was just us wandering around. If you want a more tranquil experience, I suggest going later in the afternoon. It had just rained, so there was mist lying over the mountains, and it felt like we had been transported back thousands of years. Peace washed over us.  When we finally left, we sat on a little overhang and watched the sun set over the rice fields. I don't think I'll ever be as calm and peaceful as I had been on that day in Gunung Kawi.


So there you have it- why Bali (and Ubud, in particular) is the absolute best. It's #1 on my "must go back to ASAP" list because I fell completely in love, and I beg you to consider giving this little island some love, too.

Have you been to Bali? If you have, I want to hear all about your crazy stories. Even if you haven't, let's talk about YOUR favorite vacation spots! 

All photos taken by me on my old HTC phone, hence the low quality and general crap level of the images. Next time I plan a spectacular vacation, I promise better photos. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Subscribe