Everything You Need To Know About Philly's Bloktoberfest

Monday, October 12, 2015


Last weekend I took a mini-road trip and headed down to Philly for some autumnal drinking fun at Bloktoberfest!

For those not from the area, Bloktoberfest is a Philly tradition. It's an all-day, all ages festival that features live music, tasty noms, and most importantly, beer.

Lots of craft beer.

I met up with other half last Saturday AKA my best friend, Bri. We spent the day frolicking around the famous South Street, battling the wind and the rain from Hurricane Joaquin, and generally enjoying a day our in my (second) favorite city.

Weather aside, it was the perfect festival kick-off to my favorite, favorite season. Unfortunately, it's only once a year, but here's everything you need to know before you head to Bloktoberfest next autumn!



A. Shot of South Street feat. rain & people // B. People watching @ Rex 1516 feat. more rain & more people

What Is It?

Bloktoberfest is basically a tribute to Germany's giant Oktoberfest celebrations. So really, it's just a giant neighborhood festival that celebrates coming together with your pals and having a good time. And all the money goes to charity too, which is awesome! It's family friendly; there was a whole kids area that looked ridiculously fun, plus tons of fun stuff for adults, too. There's local food trucks and all the businesses on the street are open for browsing. Most have little stands up with specials, as well. There was a local crepe stall from So Crepe that looked amazing, and The Cambridge was offering drink specials and nachos at their stand along the street. There's also tons of live music on two different stages. We spent a good half hour watching a folk band play banjo pop-covers while we nibbled on cheese curds from The Cow & The Curd. It was truly awesome. 

Where Is It?

It takes place on South Street West, past Broad Street and covering 4 blocks to 18th Street. It's super easy to get to, since the BSL runs right past the entrance. South Street is a major tourist destination, but the west side features less crazy shops (i.e. no lingerie stores or Condom Kingdoms here) and more cozy cafés and neighborhood pubs. You can wander around this area for hours and find tons of cute vintage shops, local boutiques, and great places to grab a bite. I highly recommend stopping in to Quick Fixx if none of the food trucks catch your eye. They're home to one of the best chicken caesar wraps I've ever had, plus tons of pasta and salads and general noms at reasonable prices.

How Much Does It Cost?

Well, readers, here's something very exciting. It's free! Well, sorta. It's free admission. Anyone can cruise around and enjoy their day listening to local bands and people watching. The rest of the festival is pay-as-you-go. If you're looking to knock back some craft beer, then you'll need drink tickets --which are $5 a pop-- or a beer bracelet. If you know that you're going to be enjoying all the local brews (like us!) then I highly recommend shelling out the cash for a wristband. If you buy online ahead of time, you can snag a bracelet for $15, which includes 3 beer tickets, or go big and get the $25 bracelet, which comes with 5 tickets. We went big because the beer is teeny-tiny and we wanted to get the most bang for our buck. Besides, the bracelets are more money day-off.

A. My BFF Ginger Spice Hottie of a Best Friend, Bri // B. Cheers, bitch // C. We look like we're in pain

Speaking Of Beer...

Ah yes, the most important question. The sheer amount of variety they had was awesome and very overwhelming. There were about four beer tents set up, and each had quite a list. My favorite tent was the one that had pear cider, and regular cider, AND peanut butter beer all under one little roof. This is the tent at which we spent a vast majority of our time.

I spent my day sipping on Original Sin Hard Cider which is way better than Angry Orchard for all you cider fans out there. Seriously, it was the perfect amount of bitter and sweet. I switched it up and went with Original Sin Pear Cider for a bit, which was even better. Then I decided to expand my horizons and try Duclaw's Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter because I couldn't resist.

I'm a self-proclaimed peanut butter addict. Chocolate & PB is my favorite combination so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it. It was...strange, but in a really good way. Drinking it made me feel very hipster-y. Honestly, the best way I could describe it is that I could drink a glass of it at dinner or whatever, but I wouldn't drink it on a night out.

I also tried a Dark Horse IPA, while Bri ventured out of her cider wheelhouse and tried the Dark Horse Raspberry Ale. It was a negative on both fronts, so we went back to the friendly faces at the Original Sin tent and stuck to the ciders that we know and love.

PSA: We Uber-ed there and back, and there's tons of public transit around so there's absolutely no need for you to drink and drive. Be responsible Oktoberfest goers, and don't do anything stupid.

There's An App For That

One of the best things about Bloktoberfest is that they developed an app that lists the lineup for the musicians, shows where all those mouthwatering food trucks are located, and lets you know what brews are at what tent. It lists all the local business on the street, too. It's a handy thing to have in your pocket when you're craving a grilled cheese but can't find the Say Cheese truck.

Also, we met some awesome volunteers who let us in on this little secret: if you volunteer for Bloktoberfest, you not only get to feel good for helping out the community, you also get free beer. No limit. Now that's cool.

A. Selfie with the bizzle // B. PEANUT BUTTER BEER. W H A T. 

Bloktoberfest is an awesome kick-off to fall. I really enjoyed the much-needed day out with my best friend, and I'm definitely making it a point to attend Bloktoberfest next year for more food, beer and fun. And if you're in the Philly area, you should, too. Trust me on this.


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Bloktoberfest sounds awesome! I definitely need to go to it at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Subscribe