Two Very Short Years

Thursday, September 10, 2015


Happy 2 year study abroad anniversary to me! ❤

It’s crazy to think that on this day, two years ago (TWO! holy crap time is moving fast), I left for my semester in London. I know, I know, I’m talking about London again. Will this girl ever stop? I’m sorry, but nope. Never! 

BTW- I've just returned home from celebrating my sister's 31st birthday (Happy birthday, sis!! Wow you're getting old!) so I may be a little bit tipsy. Maybe. I will neither confirm nor deny that. Soooo, I'm just gonna apologize for anything written from here on out because it's going to be rambley and a wee bit sentimental. Cheers!

I’m basically a walking rolodex of witty anecdotes revolving around freshers week, my favorite pub, and the people I hung out with. But the reason I’m always babbling on about it is simply because those memories are flashing through my mind non-stop. Always. It’s like I wake up in the morning and I’m reminded of every little detail all over again. It excites me. It makes me sad. And on today of all days, I’m full of such sweet sweet nostalgia that I can’t help but reminisce. 

I know the word “life-changing” is often overused when it comes to things like this, but I don’t know how else to describe the impact that those three months had on me. It really was life changing, and no other set of words can do it justice.

Not many people can look back at one particular moment in their life and think “This is it. This is where it all changed.” But I can. And that moment was that sunny September day, when I arrived at Heathrow with too much luggage and too little sleep.

During that semester, I met so many amazing and insane people. I did crazy, awesome things. I got to come out of the shell I didn’t even know I was in. My time at uni is what made me realize that I want to go to grad school, and taking British media classes allowed me to fall in love with my major all over again. I even got to fall in real love for the first time. As a stone-cold cynic, I’m still shocked about this one. Never in a million years did I think I would meet my perfect match halfway across the world. But I did, and now I'm all ~in love~ and stuff and I have London to thank for that.  

Somewhere along the way, I stumbled upon a different version of me. I felt lighter. Less bogged down by the impending “if’s & when’s” and more focused on the now. I stopped worrying about my self-esteem issues and started focusing on the good things. I came home a little bit chirpier, a little less hard-around-the-edges, and a little more in control.  I mean, I’ve always considered myself to be independent woman (mostly because Destiny’s Child told me to be), but somehow, I just felt like I finally earned the title. 

If I had never gone to London, who knows what I’d be doing now. Where I would be. What type of person I’d become. Everything would be so very different. 

Take this as a reminder that things get better. We’re all still growing, changing, and learning. Not everything is as set in stone as it may seem. Even the littlest things can leave a lasting impact and change your life. It just took me 3,000 miles to see that. 

I want to hear all about YOUR experiences, and hear your stories of changing and personal growth. What was one moment that impacted your life so completely? 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Instagram

Subscribe