Monday Mornings: A Mixtape
Monday, December 12, 2016![]() |
| Tunes for those awful morning commutes [Photo credit: Christian Koch] |
I know, I know - I'm a weirdo. but mornings are really not so bad! They're lazy. They're calm. And they're the start to some small but mighty adventures.
I honestly feel like my best self in my oversized t-shirts and boxer shorts, with messy bedhead and smudged makeup, and -- most importantly -- a mug of steamy, hot coffee in my hands. It's when I feel the most zen, and most of the time, I don't mind crawling out of bed and greeting the day.
I like to think of mornings as a clean slate; the time when the whole day is stretched out in front of me and I feel like I can cross anything off my to-do list. My favourite thing is drink my cuppa in the front room, curtains open, watching the world slowly wake up.
There's neighbours darting off to their jobs, kids lining up for school, birds chirping and the sun climbing into the sky. There's a quiet energy buzzing in the air; the day is unfolding right before my eyes, and I have a front row seat.
But on Mondays? Now that's a completely different story.
Mondays are for hitting the snooze button one too many times, running late, missing the tube, and generally cursing the week ahead. It's anything but slow and steady, and everything like a giant pain in the you-know-what. Why do weekends ever have to end? I want lazy sundays and pancakes, not rush-hour and crowded public transportation.
Mondays can suck the joy right out of you, but a good playlist and an IV of coffee make them a little more bearable.
While I can't supply you with the latter (believe me- I wish I could), here's my take on the perfect Monday mixtape. It's packed with songs that are upbeat enough to get you going -- the last thing you want to start the week off with is a playlist to make you even sleepier -- but it's not filled with massive bangers either. It's a good blend of indie, folk, and a bit of alt-rock to get you pumped for the week. Chill, but not too chill. Most are tunes that start off a bit slow and gradually build. It's almost like they're waking up with you.
Pairs well with a giant cup of coffee, your morning commute, + a 'go get em attitude. Now go kick some Monday butt.
Listen to more mixtapes here.

0 comments