Celebrating The Spirit of Christmas In Seven Dials
Friday, November 18, 2016
I’m a firm believer that Christmas lights should exist only after Thanksgiving. But seeing as this is Britain, and you do yourselves a great injustice by not celebrating the *best* holiday, I’ll guess I’ll have to let it slide.
Last night was the official Christmas Light switch on at Seven Dials, one of my favourite neighbourhoods in the city. Complete with a make-your-own-S’mores bar, wreath decorating, a swinging brass band, and a complimentary cocktail, it was the perfect way to ring in the holiday season.
Seven Dials signs [Photo by Bri Wink]While watching the enchanted forest-inspired lights twinkle on and off, I couldn’t help but think about how many switch-ons there are across the city. Oxford Street kicked things off a few weeks ago, with Carnaby Street and a whole lot of others following suit. Regent Street celebrated their own switch-on last night, as well. Just taking a look at this Time Out page shows just how many Christmas decorations reside in London.
It’s like London has this massive ego when it comes to Christmas celebrations. Every nook and cranny throughout the city is decked out to the max. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely festive. But I also find it a bit worrying. When did Christmas become about glittery decorations?
When I was little, my parents and I would drive around our town, looking at all of our neighbour’s Christmas decorations. It was our little tradition, until my sister and I both reached that age where spending time with family was totally not cool.
We used to laugh at the giant inflatable snowmen, rocking back and forth in the wind. We’d watch the lights shine and admire the light-up reindeer in people’s front yards.
But simple was always the best. My mom’s favourite were the houses with candles lit in every window and wreaths on the door. The homes that looked warm, cozy, and inviting. She never liked the tacky light-shows. To her, the spirt of Christmas was found in the houses that displayed their Christmas trees in their front windows; the homes that were decked out in love.
To me, Christmas is about family. I’m not a big believer in twinkle lights and life-size replicas of Santa’s sleigh, though I appreciate that to some, that’s how they display their holiday joy. But just like my mom, I’m drawn to garland and candles instead of glitter and glam.
Last night, there were groups of friends, growing families, and people of all ages gathering to watch Seven Dials turn on their lights. And while I stood there with the friends who’ve slowly become my little London family, I felt cozy and warm and happy.
I'm Bri- a writer, blogger, and reluctant Gryffindor with a penchant for little black dresses and a caffeine addiction that's getting worrisome. Join me as I roam around London, the city I now call home. There'll be plenty of humour, some good tunes, a few cups of coffee, and some messy suitcases along the way.
0 comments