The Dreaded First Blog Post

Sunday, July 26, 2015


Hi everyone! My name is Bri, I’m the brain behind The Unlatched Suitcase, and this is my very first blog post. I’m so nervous!

I’ve toyed with the idea of starting a blog for over a year now. I’ve even gotten halfway through the process (picking a name, working on logo designs, even writing a few posts!), but it never felt like a good fit. I was fighting for words and things to talk about it, and worse, I felt like I wasn’t being myself. So I gave up.

Starting a blog always seems so easy and blogging itself appears kind of glamorous on the outside. Following bloggers on social media and being surrounded by picture-perfect Pinterest pins make me green with envy. I want their closets! Their vacations! Their ability to bake bread and decorate cupcakes! Their Instagram worthy photography skills! I was under the assumption that unless my posts revolved around the typical blogging clichés, then my input wasn't important. I was doubting my voice and I psyched myself out before I could even get started because I believed I didn’t fit the pre-approved blogging mold.

So why am I taking the plunge now? Well, I’m going to be honest with you. It wasn’t so much of a plunge as a giant push, from a stranger no less!

I should mention here that I’m only 22. I just graduated college in May, and I’m spending the next year living with my parents to save money for grad school in the fall. I’m back working the same part-time job that I’ve had since my sophomore year, which honestly seems like the beginning of any movie about a girl from a small town who wants to take on the world. Unfortunately, I don’t want to move to LA to become a singer á la Burlesque, nor do I plan on moving to NYC to dance on bars like I’m straight out of Coyote Ugly. Instead, I plan on camping out in my childhood bedroom for the time being, waiting until the day that I can make my grand escape to the UK and pursue the post-grad life of “higher education”.

This alone makes me sound uninformed and out-of-touch with the rest of the blogosphere. Which is why I was so hesitant to really hit the ground running. Who wants to listen to someone who’s barely an adult babble on about living with their parents and feasting off of mom’s home cooked meals and ramen noodles? Not anyone, I thought. But I was wrong. 

Anyway, this part-time job is working at a local deli, which happens to be off a few major highways. I spend my days spreading mayo on sandwiches and chatting to customers. We get tons of travelers passing through, and being somewhat of a traveler myself, I like to harass them with questions regarding their journeys. It’s kind of crazy, but I’ve met people from all over the world this way, just by serving them a sub sandwich.

An Australian woman who currently lives in Dubai came in one day, and we started talking. I told her about my time in Brisbane, and she told me about her life of travels and how her iPhone was her office. As I handed her kids a plate full of pancakes, I mentioned that I’ve been longing to start a blog, but I feel like I have nothing to write about.

Her response? “Of course you do! Everyone has something to say. Even if you don’t think you’re interesting, other people will. That’s what makes the world and traveling so great.” Then she handed me her business card.

Now here I am, feeling inspired. She was the push I needed to really jump in and do something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. I just needed to hear someone else say that I could do it. And she’s absolutely right! I may not be the world’s greatest cook, I’m absolutely terrible at DIY, and I sure as hell don’t know anything about being a mom or running my own business, but I do know what’s it like to be 22 years old, fresh out of college, and feeling nervous about the wide open future. Blogging is not just about refurbishing dressers and making kid-friendly snacks. At the end of the day, a blog is about being personal and real. And I’m best at being myself.

I encourage all of you out there who are thinking about starting a blog to do it. It’s hard work, but it’s not as scary as it seems at the start. Jump in, and tell the world what makes you, you. Be yourself, share your stories, and let your voice be heard!


Were you as scared as I was when you first started your blogging adventure? (Please tell me you were so I don’t look like a complete freak!) This blogging newbie would love to hear all about your journey and your tips!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Subscribe